and you don’t want to be there for the consequences!
If you are still using Windows XP, you are sitting on a ticking time bomb that could affect your life in ways that you would never expect. On April 8th, Microsoft finally pulled the plug on Windows XP after over 12 years of service to the computing world.
Why would Microsoft do this?
1) Because they are a money-sucking machine that only cares about themselves?
2) Because XP had become old and dated and it was time to move on?
3) Because the only way for a technology company to continue to exist (and provide support for existing products) is to sell new and updated products?
4) Because continually supporting an out-dated product costs money and other resources a company is better off putting into it’s current products?
If you answered 2,3, and 4, you are correct! However, speak to the average computer owner and they will most likely answer number 1! I know this because of the conversations I have had with them 😉
So now what?? If you are still using Windows XP, you need to do one of two things:
1) Get the computer off the Internet and your home network and keep it that way forever, or
2) Retire the computer permanently and get a new one.
A third possibility of course is to upgrade the computer to Windows 7 or 8, but honestly 95% of all XP computers are not worth putting the money into. Now if you spent $1500 or more on your computer and you got it just before 7 came out (the tail end of the Vista era in other words), then it might be worth doing. But consider this – if you put the money into your old computer to upgrade it, the hardware will most likely be out of warranty meaning that if say your motherboard goes bad, you have no recourse except to chase good money after bad, or replace.
Now the burning question – WHY ALL THE FUSS?? Why can’t you just keep using your XP computer as it is without a care in the world?
1) Because your computer is a TICKING TIME BOMB! You are at risk for all kinds of viruses and other baddies (the limit of which we cannot fathom because we don’t know where the limit could be) that could: STEAL YOUR IDENTITY, INFECT ALL OF YOUR OTHER COMPUTERS ON YOUR NETWORK, AND WORSE!
2) The only safe thing to do is to get out of Windows XP and get a Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer. Why Windows 7? Because SO many people hate Windows 8 (including myself for various reasons) and the end of life for Windows 7 is still 6 years away.
3) A minor issue is that Microsoft Security Essentials is now UNINSTALLABLE on Windows XP! If you have it now, you can still use it until about the middle of next year. However, you will continue to receive warning messages from it regarding its end of life.
If you are using Windows XP, it is really time to move on. Consider replacing your computer as soon as possible, for your own safety.